A Recreational Pilot Permit may be right for you if you’re looking to fly for fun in your local area.
Recreational pilot permit allows you to:
- Fly anywhere in Canada during daylight hours
- Option to add a seaplane rating
- Carry one passenger
Requirements & Training
- A minimum of 25 hours of flight training must be completed. Of this 25 hours, a minimum of 15 hours must be with a flight instructor, and a minimum of five hours must be solo practice
- While obtaining your RPP, you will gain experience in various areas of flight training. These include aircraft ground handling, radio procedures, basic navigation, aircraft maneuvering, and more
- An aviation medical (class 3 or higher) must be completed
- The minimum age to obtain this permit is 16 years
Ground School & Examinations
Although not required, it is highly recommended that you complete a Pilot Ground School Course to better prepare you for the Transport Canada written examination.
A Transport Canada written examination is required with an overall passing grade of 60%. You’ll be tested in the four main areas: Air Law, Navigation, Meteorology, and General Knowledge. In addition to the written examination, you will be required to pass a practical flight test. You can be assured that your instructor will set you up for success!
Average Cost: $6,890.00
- 15 hours dual instruction $268.80/hr
- 10 hours solo practice $197.40/hr
- Private Pilot Ground School Course (not required but highly recommended) $462.00
- Ground School Student Kit. $431.83
- Medical examination $120.00
- Written examination fee $150.00
- Flight test fee $450.00
- License processing fee $60.00
- Administration fee $65.00
*Special Promo: for every $1,000.00 you pay in advance, receive 20 minutes of free solo time!
*Price is based upon the minimum requirements set forth by Transport Canada. Actual flight times (and therefore costs) may be higher than stated based on the student’s ability and aptitude. Taxes not included. Prices are subject to change without notice. Pricing is based on training in a Cessna 152.